MARRERO, La. Jul 13, 2019 – The Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority – West (SLFPA-W) states that as of 6:00 p.m. on Friday, July 12, the entire system on the Mississippi River and the Hurricane Protection System was closed. The status for July 13 is as follows:
· West Closure Complex is CLOSED
· Bayou Segnette is CLOSED
· Harvey Canal Sector gate is CLOSED
· LA-45 gate at Barataria is CLOSED
· 450 linear feet of Hesco Baskets were sent to Lafitte.
· Navigation on the Mississippi River has been halted.
· The Regulated Navigational Area has been cleared, no marine traffic is moving in the Algiers and Harvey Canal.
· Emergency Operations Center will be remain open throughout the weekend.
· Coordination calls are ongoing with NWS, USACE, USCG, GOHSEP, CPRA and JP officials.
· SLFPA-W has begun to operate pumps at West Closure Complex, Bayou Segnette and Harvey Sector Gate.
For location and status of floodgates please visit: http://slfpaw.org/floodgate-summary/
For further updates on gate closures please visit the SLFPA-W website at: http://slfpaw.org/floodgate-summary/
The mission of the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority – West is to protect the citizens and businesses of the West Bank of the greater New Orleans area in Jefferson and Orleans Parishes from hurricanes and riverine flooding by inspecting, operating and maintaining the integrity of our levees, floodwalls and floodgates. It is composed of two levee districts: the West Jefferson Levee District in Jefferson Parish and the Algiers Levee District in Orleans Parish. The Authority has jurisdiction over 80 miles of levees in the most populated areas of the West Bank of Jefferson Parish and in all of Orleans Parish on the West Bank, including 47 miles of levees that are part of the Hurricane and Storm Damage Risk Reduction System (HSDRRS) and 33 miles of Mississippi River levees. Since 2006, all of the Authority’s levees and floodwalls have been improved for the protection of residents in south Louisiana. For more information, visit www.slfpaw.org.